Below is a copy of the SHIELD training information that was included in the registration packet. In order to volunteer in any capacity for YTNBC you need to be SHIELD certified. Thanks for supporting the theater!
Thank you for your serving as a volunteer at YTNBC. As a theatre ministry of Our Lady of Grace and the Archdiocese of Baltimore we have a commitment to maintaining the trust of the faithful by providing our children and youth with safe environments characterized by healthy relationships. With our longstanding commitment in mind, all parishes and archdiocesan Catholic schools/ministries use Shield the Vulnerable, a compliance management system that allows all to facilitate compliance with child protection requirements for all volunteers who work with minors, employees, and clergy.
If you already have STAND training which will not expire before July 2017 than you are exempt from this however, I recommend you complete the training before your training expires because it is much quicker to renew than train. Please bring a copy of your card to Audition Day!!
If you do not have training than you MUST complete the training (It is good for 5 years) Please note it takes time to get all of this processed so the sooner you get it done the better. The procedure for training is below:
Please register as a PARISH volunteer at www.shieldthevulnerable.org.
- Select First-Time Signup
- Select Catholic Dioceses
- Select Baltimore Archdiocese, then select Confirm
- You will then see a letter from Archbishop Lori. After reading his letter, select NEXT.
- User Login Data section: You will create your own login-ID and password. Once all requested information is completed, select Next Step.
- Affiliation section: Select Volunteer as User Type.
- Select the appropriate Location Type, Where Located, and Location Name.
- Because you are working with children, select Substantial contact w/children. If you also will be driving children select Drivers with contact. Then select Next Step.
- You will be asked, “Do you volunteer at another location?” If you will be serving at another location, repeat steps 6-8 for that location.
- Application Info section: “Are you a new volunteer?” Select Appropriate Answer
- Answer the 3 questions for volunteers and provide three references. Then select, Next Step.
- Summary/Confirm section: Review info, if correct, select Accept and then Confirm Signup.
- Background Check Registration/Criminal History Screening: Complete the background check form and authorization. Enter your electronic signature, then choose I Consent to the Background Check or I DO NOT Consent to the Background Check. (If you do not consent to the background check, you may not serve as a volunteer for children/youth.)
- Next you will need to complete Protect the Children: STAND online training.
- Once you have finished the training, you will be asked to read the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s child and youth protection policies: A Statement of Policy for the Protection of Children and Youth and the Code of Conduct for Church Personnel in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. You will be asked to answer questions about the policies.
I know it sounds like a lot but I did the whole thing in under 40 minutes. Thank you for your service to our Church and especially for your commitment to the children and youth. Please contact Cheryl Reisinger our screening coordinator, at email@example.com or (410) 329-6826 if you have any questions.